TTC Peter Witt Street Car #2544 - Yonge Line ca 1950. Is it a photo or a postcard ? Guess below!
The Peter Witt streetcar was designed by the Cleveland Street Railway in the U.S. The Toronto Transit Commission version was built under license by Canada Car and Foundry of Montreal. A small number were also built by the Ottawa Car Company and the Preston Car Company. Between 1921 and 1923, 575 of these streetcars were ordered by the TTC for use on Toronto streets.
In early 1928, the TTC modified Peter Witt cars 2500–2522 for radial service on the Lake Simcoe line (former Metropolitan line of the Toronto and York Radial Railway). These cars were fitted with air whistles, large-flange wheels, and flag and marker light brackets. They were mainly used to handle heavy crowds from Glen Echo to Bond Lake. However, on one occasion some of these Peter Witt cars went all the way to Sutton to accommodate an Orangemen's picnic.
The Peter Witts ran on the busiest streetcar routes, and were heavily used until they were replaced by the Yonge and University subway lines. Those still in use were officially retired in 1965. ... See MoreSee Less